The U.S. Pact is accepting submissions for the 2023 Sustainable Packaging Innovation Award now through March 1, 2023. Businesses should submit their packaging solutions through Walmart’s Circular Connector.
The award was created to showcase innovations that help to keep plastic packaging in the economy and out of the environment and enable progress towards the U.S. Pact’s four targets.
2022 Sustainable Packaging Innovation Award Winners
Winners of the 2022 U.S. Plastics Pact Sustainable Packaging Award were announced by U.S. Plastics Pact Executive Director, Emily Tipaldo and Walmart Director of Sustainability, Ashley C. Hall during a keynote presentation at GreenBiz Group‘s VERGE.
CONGRATULATIONS to the award’s inaugural winners:
– Recyclability: Amcor‘s AmSky™
– Refill: The Clorox Company‘s Concentrated Refillable Cleaners
– Compostability: Smile Compostable Solutions‘ Compostable Coffee Pods
– Reuse: DeliverZero‘s Reusable Delivery Containers
Pictured from left to right: Ed Haedt (Amcor), Emily Tipaldo (U.S. Plastics Pact), Mark Pszczolkowski (The Clorox Company), Michael Sands (Smile Compostable Solutions), Ashley C. Hall (Walmart), and Ashwin Ramdas (DeliverZero).
Winning packaging solutions are featured in Walmart’s Circular Connector.WALMART'S CIRCULAR CONNECTOR
Award Categories & Eligibility
Packaging Innovation Categories:
- Recyclability – meets design for recyclability in U.S. systems (i.e., meets the Association of Plastic Recyclers Preferred Design Guidelines, How2Recycle Guidelines, contains no problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging), supports the transition from non-recyclable to recyclable and/or meets Walmart’s Recycling Playbook Recyclable “Green” Pages(s)
- Reuse – where packaging is returned and reused for the same purpose it was originally sold, consistent with the definitions of ISO 18603:2013
- Refill – where a package is refilled to dispense the originally intended product application, consistent with the definitions of ISO 18603:2013. This may be a branded product instead of a packaging solution and the product refill could be a concentrate or the original formulation of the product.
- Compostability – meets the Biodegradable Products Institute’s composting certification standards and contains no problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging
- Open to businesses of all sizes
- Open to primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging solutions of all substrates
- Must service the U.S. market
Winners Will Receive:
- Manufacturing trial discussions with potential to pilot with Walmart
- Four 30-minute mentoring sessions with Walmart Private Brand Packaging Teams
- Promotion through U.S. Plastics Pact channels, including highlights at sustainability conferences
- Technology showcase with procurement and technical staff from U.S. Plastics Pact Activators spanning across the plastics value chain
- All-access pass and travel stipend to GreenBiz Group’s Circularity23
- Chance to be featured on Cory Connors’ Sustainable Packaging Podcast
2022 Sustainable Packaging Award Honorable Mentions
RePack North America, Inc. – RePack Reusable Packaging
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the U.S. Pact’s Sustainable Packaging Innovation Award.