Walpole, NH, (January 17, 2022) – After strong participation in the first Sustainable Packaging Innovation Awards in 2022, today the U.S. Plastics Pact announced as part of a GreenBiz Group Webcast that the organization will continue the awards program. “We are proud to showcase businesses’ circular solutions that help keep plastic packaging in the economy and out of the environment and enable progress towards the U.S. Pact’s four targets,” said Emily Tipaldo, Executive Director, U.S. Pact. Submissions for the 2023 Sustainable Packaging Innovation Award will be accepted through Walmart’s Circular Connector until March 1, 2023.
Packaging Innovation Categories:
- Recyclability – meets design for recyclability in U.S. systems (i.e., meets the Association of Plastic Recyclers Preferred Design Guidelines, and contains no problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging), supports the transition from non-recyclable to recyclable and/or meets Walmart’s Recycling Playbook Recyclable “Green” Pages(s)
- Reuse – where packaging is returned and reused for the same purpose it was originally sold, consistent with the definitions of ISO 18603:2013
- Refill – where a package is refilled to dispense the originally intended product application, consistent with the definitions of ISO 18603:2013. This may be a branded product instead of a packaging solution and the product refill could be a concentrate or the original formulation of the product
- Compostability – meets the Biodegradable Products Institute’s composting certification standards and contains no problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging
- Open to businesses of all sizes
- Open to primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging solutions of all substrates
- Must service the U.S. market
Winners Will Receive:
- Manufacturing trial discussions with potential to pilot with Walmart
- Four 30-minute mentoring sessions with Walmart Private Brand Packaging Teams
- Promotion through U.S. Plastics Pact channels, including highlights at sustainability conferences
- Technology showcase with procurement and technical staff from U.S. Plastics Pact Activators spanning across the plastics value chain
- All-access pass and travel stipend to GreenBiz Group’s Circularity23
- Chance to be featured on Cory Connors’ Sustainable Packaging Podcast
Learn more about the program and submit your circular packaging solution before March 1, 2023: https://usplasticspact.org/award.
Previous winning solutions included Amcor‘s AmSky™ in the Recyclability category, The Clorox Company‘s Concentrated Refillable Cleaners in the Refill category, Smile Compostable Solutions‘ Compostable Coffee Pods in the Compostability category, and DeliverZero‘s Reusable Delivery Containers in the Reuse category. For more information on previous winners, check out the U.S. Plastics Pact’s website.
For questions about Walmart’s Circular Connector, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To arrange an interview with Emily Tipaldo, Executive Director, U.S. Plastics Pact, or to be connected with U.S. Pact Activators, contact:
Tiana Lightfoot Svendsen